Are you long overdue for a visit to the dentist? Or have you started noticing pain in your teeth or gums? When patients neglect oral heath, minor problems may become more prominent, urgent issues that constitute a dental emergency. What happens next if you or someone you know requires emergency dental care?
Common Dental Emergencies
Generally speaking, dental emergencies can cause large amounts of pain and discomfort for patients, and they may need immediate assistance to alleviate any symptoms. In many cases, some common dental emergencies include:
- Broken, chipped, or cracked teeth due to trauma
- Infections in the teeth or gums
- A lost filling or crown
- Unusual pain and bleeding after a tooth extraction
While some dental emergencies happen during everyday activities like sports or jobs demanding manual labour, patients may prevent others with good upkeep of their oral hygiene.
Dental Emergencies in Mona Vale
Depending on the type of emergency, patients have a few options for taking care of their teeth. But first and foremost, getting in touch with a professional can make a huge difference. We offer various services to our patients at BMB Dental Clinic, including emergency dental treatment. If you or someone you know finds themselves in an emergency dental situation, our team can provide assistance and advice over the phone.
Tips for Handling Dental Emergencies
Patients can remedy their symptoms in several ways before getting professional help. A few options include:
- Reinserting a knocked-out tooth or placing it in a bag with milk or a saline solution
- Putting gauze pads on wounds on cheeks, lips or other facial tissues
- Rinsing out your mouth with lukewarm water mixed with salt
- Use cold compresses to alleviate pain
- Pain-medication (please consult a doctor before taking any medications)
We invite any of our patients to contact us in the event of a dental emergency. Getting help as soon as possible can help protect the longevity of your oral health and preserve your smile for years to come.